From: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzi...@cisco.com>
To: Sreenath Kulkarni <sreenathkulka...@yahoo.co.in>
Cc: sip-implementors@lists.cs.columbia.edu
Sent: Tuesday, 23 June, 2009 9:54:37 AM
Subject: Re: [Sip-implementors] Query in Request URI

Sreenath,

I'm puzzled by how you are asking this question.
In general the form of the user part of a sip URI should only be of concern to
the owner of the domain of that URI.

So in sip:VoiceMail;userparam=12...@wcom.com,
it is up to the owner of wcom.com to decide which user parts it is willing to
accept. (Among those that are syntactically permitted.)

So, if you are responsible for wcom.com, you may decide the above is meaningful
to you, or you may reject it.

Those who are *sending* requests should, in general, only be sending them to
URIs that they have been given. So if somebody from wcom.com *gave* you the URI
sip:VoiceMail;userparam=12...@wcom.com, then you should just send requests to
it, not question whether it is valid.

OTOH, if you have been given the URI sip:voicem...@wcom.com, then *in general*
you have *no business* modifying it by adding a parameter to create
sip:VoiceMail;userparam=12...@wcom.com.

I say *in general* because that could be violated if you have some special
knowledge of the policies of the wcom.com domain, that such an alteration is
acceptable for URIs in its domain.

Sreenath Kulkarni wrote:
> Can u please provide me any reference for the same?
>
> Regards,
> Sreenath.

      Love Cricket? Check out live scores, photos, video highlights and more.
Click here http://cricket.yahoo.com