2009/8/31 Stefan Sayer <stefan.sa...@iptego.de>:
>> Sorry but I don't understand. How could it be useful? what about
>> dynamically created conferences? Nobody can expect that carol is
>
> when you get the INVITE, you can fetch the status of the dynamically created
> conference (subscribe with expires 0), display it to your user, and if he
> wants to accept, subscribe again, for live status of your conference.
>
>> always subscribed to *any* conference. And anyway... does a
>> "subscription to conference status" exist for SIP?
>
> have a look at RFC 4353 and referenced documents.

Ok, thanks.

>> Thanks, but what you suggest seems more a "propietary" implementation
>> rather than a real standard, so it would require "custom" clients
>> understanding these parameters in the way you suggest. Also, I expect

> u= line in SDP is standardized with exactly that meaning since 2327, even
> though apparently no one uses it in the context of SIP with SDP
> offer/answer.
>
> Call-Info is from RFC3261, and it doesn't seem to me that the usage is
> proprietary, even though unfortunately no one uses it.

With "propietary" I mean that nobody uses it to inform about a
conference. If a vendor decides to use it for conference it would be a
"propietary" usage since no RFC specifies it for this purpose (too
much generic purpose as 50% of SIP specifications or
half-specifications).

>> that the days in which all the "cool" SIP features are implemented as
>> a web are close to dissapear :)
>
> and the divide between SIP networks and "innovative/cool services" is
> getting bigger by the day, indeed.

Because most of the providers and vendor focus on voip rather than
other cool features :(

>> The intelligence must be in the endpoints rather than in a web page :)
>
> show me a reasonably priced SIP phone that implements all of that
> conferencing framework (client side), supporting what you asked for above. I
> think this will not change in the coming years.

Yes, but please understand my question. I just wanted to know if what
I ask is *really specified* in RFC's (something more specific that the
generic attributes you suggest above). I know that, even if the
specifications were exist, nobody implements them right now.
But at least, if they exist and some vendor/provider want to implement
such features it doesn't need to implement "propietary
specifications".

> What we are going to have
> much earlier is mobile and fixed devices which are much more intelligent:
> They are able do render complex GUIs in a full web browser, because there is
> demand and this is commodity technology already.

So that would mean proprietary mechanisms, :(

> For a conference that is centralized anyway (mixing, policies etc), it would
> IMO make sense to use the UI techniques and technologies that were developed
> in the web world in telco world as well, because they are simply much more
> advanced, interoperable, cheaper (both client and server side), flexible.

I don't know why. Skype does implement voice conferences in a very
fashion way, with no web interface. I don't understand why SIP world
couldn't offer the same based on real standards.

Thanks for your comment.

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo
<i...@aliax.net>