David Benoit wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 02, 2009 at 04:22:55PM -0400, Dale Worley wrote:
>> On Thu, 2009-10-01 at 10:37 +0200, DE CLERCQ Johan wrote:
>>> As we all know, in ISDN you can detect when you go to a voicemailbox of
>>> a cellular line by looking for the PROGRES message as defined in Q.931.
>> There is no good way to do this in SIP.  However, an answering automaton
>> "should" identify itself with the "automata" media feature tag on its
>> Contact header:
>>
>> Contact: <sip:u...@pc.example.com>;automata

That would be indication of any sort of automaton.
If you want to know it is really a VM server, you would be looking for:

Contact: <sip:u...@pc.example.com>;automata;actor="msg-taker"

(Again, see 3840)

(Its "msg-taker" to cover recording of media other than audio.)

But I suspect there are a lot of VM systems that don't signal this.