Adding to what Dale said:

Even in 3gpp, a registration failure should not cause a deregistration.
Rather, state should be the same as if you hadn't done it at all.
So as long as you eventually get it right before the registration
succeeds you should not have a problem.

Of course, if you waited too long, and the registration times out
between your failed attempt and a successful one, then you would see a
problem. But I doubt that is your case - it would be a huge coincidence.

More likely the registrar is broken and is unregistering you when your
renewal fails.