From: sip-implementors-boun...@lists.cs.columbia.edu
[mailto:sip-implementors-boun...@lists.cs.columbia.edu] On Behalf Of
Johnson, Michael A
Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 12:30 PM
To: sip-implementors@lists.cs.columbia.edu
Subject: [Sip-implementors] Re-Invite codec renegotiation.

I have an issue with a vendor where a call placed from a phone that
negotiates G.729 (ISP supports both G.729 & G.711)
200 OK with SDP:
t=0 0
m=audio 9000 RTP/AVP 8 0 18 101
a=rtpmap:18 G729/8000
a=fmtp:18 annexb=no
a=rtpmap:101 telephone-event/8000
a=fmtp:101 0-15

When I place the call on-hold, I send an invite without SDP, this
appears OK according to RFC 3261.
My issue is that when placing the call on-hold the PBX (server) has no
compression resources and so cannot support G.729. This should, I
believe negotiate G.711 but is not.
The 200 OK I get back from the ISP offers both options:

t=0 0
m=audio 16460 RTP/AVP 18 101
a=rtpmap:18 G729a/8000
a=fmtp:18 annexb=no
a=rtpmap:101 telephone-event/8000
a=fmtp:101 0-15
a=ptime:20
a=sendrecv

The PBX actually waits for an internal timer to expire before finally
accepting the offered G.729 codec.

ACK
sip:0386023724@192.168.175.132:5060;url-cookie=SBCCW-fr7ft3pl6t5d9;trans
port=udp SIP/2.0
Via: SIP/2.0/UDP 192.168.8.80:5060;branch=z9hG4bK174147504-93234099
Max-Forwards: 70