On 5/26/15 4:50 AM, Ren Xin wrote:
Our product actually compare the newly received SDP with previous one
and if they are not byte-to-byte identical and the SDP version does not
increase by 1, we invalidate the stream.

Customer is complaining about this. They think these two streams are
identical.

Now we can not reach an agreement on if this is a bug.

I think this depends on your objectives.

If your goal is to be "SDP Police" and verify that others adhere to the letter of the specs, then you are probably doing the right thing.

If your goal is to maximize interoperability, then not so much. In that case you are better to follow the Postel maxim: “Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send.”

You just need to be sensible in how you are liberal. (IMO it isn't good to be liberal by choosing one of two equally plausible interpretations of an ambiguous point.)

IMO it would probably be a bad thing if you simply trusted that the version being equal means the SDP is unchanged. In that case, if somebody screwed up and made big changes to the SDP and failed to change the version you could get into big interop problems.

But if, when you find the SDPs are not byte-by-byte identical, you act as if the version was updated even if it was not, then ISTM the only "harm" that can arise is that you might succeed in interoperating.

But it is your choice.

On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 6:31 PM, Paul Kyzivat <pkyzi...@alum.mit.edu