On 10/20/15 12:50 PM, Anand Konji wrote:
Generally (but not limited to ),
- 407 proxy  responses for messages sent to SIP clients.

Not quite. A 407 can be returned for any request if it happens to go through a proxy that cares.

And a 401 can be returned by any UAS. Note that UAS means UA Server. Any UA acts as a server some of the time. Some UAs, like registrars, are more likely to send 401s.

E.g.
- messages like INVITE & BYE will receive 407 responses

INVITE and BYE *could* also receive 401 responses, though it isn't common.

- messages like REGISTER & SUBSCRIBE will receive 401 responses.

A REGISTER is indeed likely to require authentication, and so return a 401. But it is also possible that it could get a 407.

It is pretty common to authenticate a REGISTER by challenging with 401. And then to subsequently put a proxy in the path of future requests, and for the proxy to only permit other requests if a registration is active - doing this in lieu of challenging other requests. But it is tricky to get this right. You need to somehow ensure that the subsequent requests are from the same UA that is registered. The only IETF defined way to do that is via RFC5626.

And note that in principle it should not be necessary to register before sending requests. Registration is for the purpose of getting requests that were sent to the AoR.

So another approach is for there to be a proxy in the signaling path for all requests from a UA, that challenges (with 407) and requires authentication of the From address before letting the request pass.

I think you should not worry so much about which messages are getting these responses. Instead, simply have common logic to deal with them whenever you are challenged.