Hi Paul,

When dealing with a similar problem we have approached it on our edge
proxies similar to traffic flow queuing disciplines (GRED to be precise).
An edge proxy would measure average registration processing time for a back
end registration server. When average processing time exceeds the normal
processing time limit (100 ms in our case), the edge proxy will start
randomly refusing a gradually increasing percentage of the registration
messages. When average processing time exceeds the overload processing time
limit (250 ms in our case), the edge proxy will refuse all registration
messages. When registration messages were refused, proxy would send a 500
error response with Retry-After header set to a random value between 30 and
60 s.

Regards,
Roman Shpount