Roman,

Interesting. That takes the load off the registrars, but the edge proxies still must handle it.

On 8/10/16 1:40 PM, Roman Shpount wrote:
Hi Paul,

When dealing with a similar problem we have approached it on our edge
proxies similar to traffic flow queuing disciplines (GRED to be
precise). An edge proxy would measure average registration processing
time for a back end registration server. When average processing time
exceeds the normal processing time limit (100 ms in our case), the edge
proxy will start randomly refusing a gradually increasing percentage of
the registration messages. When average processing time exceeds the
overload processing time limit (250 ms in our case), the edge proxy will
refuse all registration messages. When registration messages were
refused, proxy would send a 500 error response with Retry-After header
set to a random value between 30 and 60 s.

Regards,
Roman Shpount

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 11:00 AM, Paul Kyzivat <pkyzi...@alum.mit.edu