I'm not certain, but I suspect there is a misunderstanding here.

The presence of SDP in a 1xx response permits the establishment of a media stream from the UAC to the UAS. It doesn't matter what sort of 18x it appears in - 180, 183, etc. It really has *nothing* to do with rendering ringback. Also, while not really part of SIP, it is fairly common for middle boxes to forbid media toward the UAC until SDP from the UAS is seen. So there is some incentive for the UAS to send SDP early to get things ready even if it doesn't intend to send any media to the UAC immediately.

A 183 (with or without SDP) indicates that the UAS is aware of the call, but otherwise contains no sense of the state of the UAS. A 180 indicates that the UAS is being alerted. A 181 or 182 indicate other things about the state of call or the UAS.

The UAC may, according to its policy or design, wish to inform the caller regarding what it knows about the state of the call or UAS. Locally generating and rendering audio to the caller is one common way of accomplishing this. If done this way, there is then a potential conflict between rendering this locally generated audio and rendering audio that is received from the callee. A typical strategy here is to only render locally generated audio when there is no renderable audio being received from the callee.

This is all local policy. If you have some other way (e.g. a screen, or vibrator) to render the status of the call then you may be able to do that even when rendering received audio.

The policy choices made here can be important to satisfying the customer of your product, even though they are not issues of standards compliance.

In the case at hand in this thread, IMO it is the responsibility of the UAC to do the right thing. I haven't heard anything that suggests to me that the UAS has done anything wrong.