From: sipx-users-boun...@list.sipfoundry.org
[mailto:sipx-users-boun...@list.sipfoundry.org] On Behalf Of Andreas (Around
the Clock Information Systems)
Sent: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 3:20 AM
To: sipx-users@list.sipfoundry.org
Subject: [sipx-users] Redundant network interfaces

Dear sipXecs Users, Experts and Developers,

        I stood up my first sipXecs machine a little over a month ago (build
4.0.0-015321) and after about a week of on and off tinkering, I pretty much
have everything working.  This particular server happens to have two NIC's
in it, and before I thoroughly read all the documentation, thought that I'd
point eth0 towards the internal LAN and eth1 towards the public Internet.
My logic was that the internal (LAN facing) NIC would service all the phones
and handle all intranet calls (extension to extension), while the external
(Internet facing) NIC would handle any calls destined to our ITSP and
ultimately the PSTN.  After struggling with this configuration for a day or
two, I discovered this tiny little Wiki page titled "Redundant network
interfaces" at the address of
http://sipx-wiki.calivia.com/index.php/Redundant_network_interfaces.
Technically, these are NOT "redundant".  They actually serve two different
purposes (in my mind) as described above.  Here is the quote from that page
that concerns me:

"It may or may not be possible to run sipXpbx on a system that has multiple
IP interfaces, but the results may be unpredictable and it is not
recommended."

        Bummer. . .  If only I had discovered that sooner, I could have
saved myself three failed install attempts (twice from the sipXecs IP PBX
Single Install CD, and one from scratch).

        So, those of you who made it this far are probably saying to
yourselves "is this guy ever going to get to the point?" or "is there a
question in here somewhere?".  Please be patient, I'm almost there. . .

Here's my situation: In the next 30 days I will be asked to stand up a
production sipXecs server on an otherwise 100% M$ Windows only network which
utilizes Microsoft ISA Server as its firewall.  From what I have read so
far, M$ ISA Server does not play nicely with IP based PBX's that need to be
connected to the outside world.  My plan was to bypass the ISA Server and
configure the NIC's of this production sipXecs system in a similar fashion
as I described above.  In spite of the "results may be unpredictable and it
is not recommended" statement above; I have read on this very list that
there are those among you who have successfully gotten "multiple IP
interfaces" working on their sipXecs servers.  That's the background
information.  Here are my specific questions:

1.) DNS - I have learned the hard way that proper DNS configuration is
critical for proper sipXecs operation.  If using DNS (BIND) and DHCP on the
sipXecs server itself, how does a proper DNS configuration on a dual NIC
server differ from a sipXecs server with a single NIC?

2.) What are your recommendations with regard to configuration order?  I.E.
System, Devices, Users, Features, etc.  Would you recommend any specific
deviation in the configuration order as recommend by "The sipXecs IP PBX
Configuration Server" Wiki page at
http://sipx-wiki.calivia.com/index.php/The_sipXecs_IP_PBX_Configuration_Serv
er?

3.) Gotchya's?  Are there any specific sipXecs services that
absolutely-positively will not work on a multiple IP interface
configuration?

4.) Am I dreaming?  Wasting my time?  Barking up the wrong IP PBX tree?

        To all that have made it this far, thank you for reading, thanks for
your time, and I look forward to your input/suggestions.

Best wishes,

Andreas
Systems Engineer
Around the Clock Information Systems