I really think you are going to have trouble with the Modem stuff...

For your best bet you'll want analog gateways and pri gateway from same
vendor.  They'll need to support Modem over IP (MoIP...  v.150).

From: sipx-users-boun...@list.sipfoundry.org
[mailto:sipx-users-boun...@list.sipfoundry.org] On Behalf Of
mkitchin.pub...@gmail.com
Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2009 1:36 PM
To: sipx-users@list.sipfoundry.org
Subject: [sipx-users] Fax machines, postage machines,and a few other
analog devices

I think I understand most of the concepts in play here, but I'm hoping
someone can recommend some specific devices, designs, ideas, best
practices etc.
We are planning on moving from a 2 PRI based Nortel Norstar to Sipx
4.0.2. It is VOIP provided directly from Verizon over a Verizon DS3.

1) We have a handful of old analog devices (fax machines, copiers that
phone home for billing, postage machines, etc). I would love to get rid
of all these, but old habits die hard for some people.
2) I also have a separate PRI that goes it an Atlas Adtran 550 PRI
router, that routes calls to a Rightfax fax server via internal PRI
connection and a Perle systems modem bank over 4 internal ISDN
connections. I would like to get rid of this PRI all together.

For the first part, I'm hoping to find the ideal device (ATA, Gateway,
or whatever I need) to plug 5 to 10 of these analog devices in. I'm
interested in one that can connect multiple devices that we would put in

our data center, and one that would connect just a single device if we
had to locate next to the analog device for some reason. Hopefully
someone has had some positive experiences with some of these setups.

For #2, I think I have a few options. I believe I could put something in

to route an internal PRI connection to the Atlas 550. I don't want to
add any hardware cards to my Sipx machine, because I'm hoping to to put
it on VMware one day if the issues there get worked out. I can make
Rightfax Sip compatible for about a $3000 upgrade, and I could sell the
current PRI card in it for about the same. That is what I'm leaning
towards. Would it be simple to route a range of numbers from Sipx to my
Rightfax server? I know I could have Verizon send them directly to the
server, but they have proved to be difficult to work with, so I'm trying

to keep as much control over this as possible.
As for the modem bank, it is only for outbound connections. I was
ignorantly hoping there would be a simple SIP software modem client that

would make this a breeze. I now understand why that isn't as simple as I

was hoping. I only have a few hosts left that need to dial out. Is there

something that would easily allow them to dial out through Sipx? Would I

need to use a physical modem and hook up to the device described in part

1? My current modem bank ( http://www.perle.com/products/833-RAS.shtml )

has 4 ISDN ports for outbound connection, so I could use that if it is
an option to connect that somehow.

Thanks for all the help everyone here provides!

-Matthew