On Thu, 2009-11-19 at 22:09 +0100, Kalle Tetto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> are there any plans to implement overlap sending and receiving with
> sipx? That would be a nice feature for germany, austria and denmark.
>
> I know that asterisk hast support and patton inalp. I have spoken to a
> Cisco router developer, they have develeoped it, but as far as there is
> no PBX, cisco does not supportt this on SIP in CUCM, they will not put
> it into their IOS.
>
> Just curios, but would be great for us and would push sipx alot.

By 'overlap sending', do you mean sending one digit at a time to the PBX
and making the call when the dial string is complete?

If so, no - that's not currently on the roadmap.

In SIP, that's something of an "unnatural act".  There is a way to do
it, although I don't know how many of the phones we support can do it
(because I have not checked): every digit causes an INVITE request, and
any failure that _might_ be a valid number returns a special error code.
Supporting this actually forces administrators to set up old-style dial
plans that have unique prefix strings to disambiguate long and short
dial strings that otherwise might overlap.  It also adds a lot of load
to the servers.

The better way to do this in SIP, which requires no server support at
all, is to write digit maps in your phone configurations that cause the
phone to emulate this behavior locally in the phone.  We don't have any
way to do this automatically now, but there are people on this list
who've done quite a bit of it.