Correct. Upcoming (4.2, development version 4.1 bit not near stable yet), is
an IM integration which will allow for an IM client to "watch" the phone.
Pick up the handset and make a call, show your watcher that you are on the
phone. No real limitations there yet, but surely more than a few dozen I'm
sure.

Until that time, a phone with more line appearances/sidecars would do the
BLF for you. Only the 650/670's have the sidecar option (good for a
receptionist even with the IM integration, because if the operators PC is
down, your company operator still needs to know this information). The 650's
have 6 line appearances, and each sidecar has an additional 14. I've used
somewhere between 20-25. I'm not sure if sipx can use the additional 47 line
appearances as BLF's or not.

Does anyone know the real working limitation of BLF for Polycom and the RLS
component in sipx?