On Tue, 2010-01-12 at 15:06 +1300, Justin Menga wrote:
> I have set up unsolicited MWI fine, however I notice that SIPXecs
> sends a NOTIFY message for every registration event from a SIP UA,
> including re-registrations.
>
> This behaviour differs from as an example Cisco Unity/CallManager,
> which only sends a NOTIFY message if no registration previously
> existed for the SIP UA (i.e. never for re-registrations).
>
> Is there any way to configure SIPXecs to operate like the Cisco
> example provided above?

The Cisco implementation is grossly non-standard, and there's a limit to
how far down that road we're willing to go :-)

Here's what happens:

     1. When a registration is received for which we need to create an
        MWI subscription, the sipXregistrar transforms a copy of the
        REGISTER request into SUBSCRIBE request for the same time
        interval.
     2. That SUBSCRIBE is forwarded to the status server, which is the
        component that provides MWI.  For an initial registration, this
        creates a new subscription, and for a registration refresh it
        refreshes the MWI subscription.
     3. The status server obeys the rules for the SIP SUBSCRIBE request,
        which include a requirement that whenever a SUBSCRIBE request is
        accepted (whether new or renew), a NOTIFY is sent to the
        subscriber with the current state of the subscribed resource.

Cisco uses completely non-standard unsolicited NOTIFY messages for MWI;
they don't expect or use SUBSCRIBE at all for this.

Is there some problem you think it caused by getting the "extra" NOTIFY
messages?