Keith,
I'm using the beta firmware for the Grandstream phones:
version 1.2.3.5.  I was having a number of problems that
were fixed in the beta.  I did not find any new problems
with the beta firmware, though there are a still a couple of
bugs that I've noticed:

1) BLF works, but not eventlist BLF
2) Paging works, but intercom does not autoanswer if you use
the intercom feature code in sipx.  If you use the phones
"page" mode to call another phone it works.  (To get to the
page mode you go off hood, then press menu, then dial.)

I ended up not disabling autoconfig, but there are still
some features in the phone that are not supported by the
autoconfig in sipx.  Most notably: phone books and
autoconfiguration of speed dial.