I have been wondering about a combination of what you guys are doing.

Rather than keeping two servers in sync, my thought is running two base
servers, where each has it's sipx related directories on a very fast network
share. The database server would be hosted on another server and a client used
on the local machine.

Then running which ever heartbeat tool covers the requirements. I would use
fibre channel over Ethernet for the shared storage and Ethernet for the
database.

While no one wants dropped calls, thing is, people are somewhat used to that,
it happens now and then so it would not be an instant 100% blame of the system,
you'd get the benefit of the doubt. That would be especially true if they could
hang up, call back in and the services are still there. People could live with
that.

Things I am unclear on.

-While one server was active and the other sitting idle, would the idle system
write anything to the database or config files which could cause any problems?
There would be no devices registered on it and it could think there are but so
long as it would not effect the live server, that should not be a problem?

-When the standby server bemace primary, it would have full access to
everything it needs, including vm's, configs, database, what else might it
need?

-How to deal with the IP? Would one use a VIP on each server? No traffic would
come to the standby server unless the heartbeat program recognized that the
first server was no longer available.

-I see some suggestions for heartbeat program solutions, are there others who
might be better suited?

If we can talk about this, some of us could put some tests together, share
results, maybe find a solution that while not perfect, might give us more of a
fail over situation.