Realize the Aastra is a different client, and "how" the manufacturer
implements a protocol is VERY different from another one...

FTP is the way to do it, and these days PASV FTP is pretty much needed to do
bootrom updates with Polycom. Even in their http/https provisioning they
won't do bootrom and firmware over https, only http. So it's not as simple
as "just make sipx use https", it would have to do both. Add to that Polycom
is constantly changing their config file format, parameters, arguments, etc.
FTP works, so that's what I suggest to do.

Can you get another IP and add it to the firewall (even if just for ftp)...?