great question.  short answer is it must be INVITE, not REFER as it
stays in the media path.

Looking for a REFER based connection to agent would allow for some
insane scalability as OpenACD really only consumes a fraction of the
CPU to do it's job.   OpenACD today uses the FS session to determine
when agents are available based on open channels and such.  Having
said that, OpenACD has a general architecture for queueing anything
like email and voicemail, so i suspect queuing based on REFER would
require tracking/subscribing to the SIP messages to determine call
state to replicate what FS session provides.

but post to
  http://groups.google.com/group/openacd
if you want a more in-depth response