what you never said was that you were trunking a nortel option 61c to sipx
via a smartnode.

I think this has been done successfully a few times. suffice it to say your
patton gateway needs a dialplan entry changed and why would you be dialling
it via a sip domain when you should be dialling it numbers as an unmanaged
gateway using a dial plan.

the issue really is the dial plan in the patton and you seem to think that
it is an sbc when it is not. I think you are making this more complicated
than it needs to be.