On Jul 13, 2012, at 12:32 , Gerald Drouillard wrote:

>           older versions of ubuntu have the ntp.conf file in
>           /var/lib/ntp/ntp.conf.dhcp, you may want to delete that one
>           and use the one in /etc

This is a Centos 5 install, but it will not run ntpd because the system is in
an OpenVZ container:

[root@sipx ~]# /etc/init.d/ntpd start
Starting ntpd:                                             [  OK  ]
[root@sipx ~]# /etc/init.d/ntpd status
ntpd dead but pid file exists
[root@sipx ~]#

Which brings me back to my original question:

How do I configure ntp to be an unmanaged service in 4.4?  If this is not
possible in the standard config, does anyone have suggestions for a work-around
I can implement?  Once I have this, I can release my OpenVZ appliance for
testing.