This is the direction we're headed...  being able to get system (sipxecs /
openuc) related stats for better monitoring.

We're doing this so that users with any monitoring solution can monitor
sipxecs/openuc in the same manner as all their other equipment.

As part of the openUC commercial solution we'll have our 'Assurance
Services' that will be automagically configured by sipXconfig and provide
monitoring capabilities.  On the open source side it will be left open for
folks to 'roll their own'.

Mike

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 10:50 AM, Tony Graziano <
tgrazi...@myitdepartment.net> wrote:

> My last two cents on MRTG. It's nice, easy to look at, but the historical
> data is IMO pretty worthless. There are a lot of monitoring systems out
> there which allow you to put an agent on a linux or windows (etc.) system
> and collect the stats leaving the prequisites and load on sipx lighter than
> trying to do it all in one.
>

> http://sixrevisions.com/tools/10-free-server-network-monitoring-tools-that-kick-ass/
>
> Several of these can be centralized (zabbix and zenoss as I recall, seem
> to be the easier to setup and get running, having played with both) and
> agents can be put on various systems, and can monitor devices (switches,
> routers, etc.).
>
> As sipx really becomes part of the network infrastructure, it makes sense
> to me to move it under a platform like one of those above, which is really
> an administrative choice.
>
> Though it would be nice to see some way to collect proxy and registrar
> stats either from snmp for inclusion at some point or as a separate
> mechanism, since as a proxy and registrar THOSE stats are actually more
> meaningful to an admin than disk and cpu since that is normally
> unremarkable on this platform.
>

> On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 10:21 AM, Douglas Hubler <dhub...@ezuce.com>wrote:
>
>> Tony is correct MRTG integration is gone.  MRTG was driven from SNMP data
>> and all that data is still available on the systems so  you could integrate
>> the MRTG stats back again.   Going forward it's - BYOMS - Bring Your Own
>> Monitoring System.  I accept responsibility for this regression in
>> functionality, it was not driven by any other business goals.  The amount
>> of effort it would have taken to unravel the code against the value the
>> charts provided, it didn't make sense.  In addition, there are tons of
>> packages that do this better, any they may even use MRTG.
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 10:00 AM, Tony Graziano <
>> tgrazi...@myitdepartment.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I think MRTG is a casualty. I'm not sure if it is being put back in or
>>> not. With the "network queue" there are perhaps better and more consistent
>>> methods to pull out statistics if I recall properly, but it has not been
>>> discussed yet..
>>>
>>> The current MRTG does not really provide enough useful information to be
>>> of that much help (IMO), since it averages averages over time and dilutes
>>> the data (kind of the problem with MRTG overall).
>>>
>>> The majority of systems I have seen really provide a static look at
>>> information that doesn't seem to change much. What would be helpful is
>>> (IMO) registrations per hour, call per gateway, etc. and NOT in MRTG
>>> fashion in that it dilutes the numbers over time.
>>>
>>> This might be a good time to discuss it, and include the dev list too
>>> for up to the minute updates on the mrtg inclusion (or not).

>>> --
>>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>> Tony Graziano, Manager
>>> Telephone: 434.984.8430
> [...]

Michael Picher, Director of Technical Services
eZuce, Inc.

300 Brickstone Square****

Suite 201****

Andover, MA. 01810