Hey Ole:

> I appreciate your help !  After a lot of experimentation, and working
> interactively on the cloned client at the end of the SI installation,
> I'm now firmly convinced that Systemimager v3.4.1 as delivered by the
> RPM packages on http://sourceforge.net/projects/systemimager/
> *does not work* for Redhat RHEL 4.0 clients (and the RHEL clone
> Centos 4.0).  It *does work* for Redhat Fedora Core 2 clients,
> however, in my testing.  My guess is that the older kernel 2.4
> used in Systemimager v3.4.1 doesn't work correctly on top of
> the latest Redhat RHEL 4.0 installations with kernel 2.6.9.

Just to clarify, SystemImager 3.4.1 does work with 2.6 kernel - I have
imaged Fedora Core 2 and Fedora Core 3 which are both 2.6 kernel based
and they all work fine.  It is somewhat perplexing why RHEL4 doesn't
work though :<

> However, in the meantime I've built RPM packages from the
> Systemimager v3.5.2 CVS available from
> http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=259
> The systemimager.spec file needs a bit of fixing, but I can now
> build v3.5.2 RPMs correctly from the current CVS.  Version 3.5.2
> employs kernel version 2.6.10 which should be much closer to
> that of recent Redhat releases.  I haven't tried the
> Systemimager-unstable v3.5.1 from Sourceforge, but anyhow
> we need to have some RPMS, so we have to build it ourselves...

I have actually built 3.5.2 RPMs, I should have them somewhere, let me
know if you want to try those out.

> With Systemimager v3.5.2 cloning of Redhat RHEL 4.0 clients
> *works correctly* !!  I'm still working out the details of
> building and installing Systemimager v3.5.2, and testing
> the cloning of clients with various combinations of
> releases and disk configurations.  I hope to be able to
> provide a small HowTo document and some ready made RPMs
> to this list shortly.

Are you saying that with SystemImager 3.5.2, you can clone RHEL4
clients?  SystemConfigurator can correctly set up grub and the nodes can
come up without problems?

Thanks,

Bernard