Seth/Peter/Anyone !

Unfortunately as you will note from muy first post I'm attempting to load RH EL 3 not 4 on the DL380 G4 so this will not solve my problem. I ran into problems when building 3.5.2 on RHEL3 and also when attempting to run si_prepareclient. I also have a installed base running off of 3.0.0 so I would like as little to change as possible.

So back to trying to get 3.4.1 working on the DL380G4 ...

I have attempted to force recognition of the driver by modifying the ./patches/linux.i386.config file such that

CONFIG_BLK_CPQ_DA=y
CONFIG_BLK_CPQ_CISS_DA=y

I then remade all the packages(ie rpmbuild -ba /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/systemimager.spec).
I then loaded the resultant boot pkg and made a bootable cd :
- booting from the cd I eventually get the # prompt after the broadcast's fail(remmeber I normally
  use a local.cfg from floppy).
- at this point /dev/cciss/disc0/disc ... exists however a parted still results in a No such device ... - I then attempted to boot again using the same cd but this time also included a floppy with a local.cfg on it(I had noted fromt he previous boot that the floppy is still referenced for local.cfg) - This time the local.cfg is read and the ping test is attempted to the image server. - the ping tests fails but on the subsequent rsync the script is received. - the script starts to runs and partially works : - old partition table via parted is displayed - new partitions are created(1-3 in my case) - mke2fs -f /dev/cciss/disc0/part3 || shellout works - tune2fs -L /dev/cciss/disc0/part3 works
    - mkdir -p /a/ || shellout works
- mount /dev/cciss/disc0/part3 /a/ -t ext3 -o defaults || shellout FAILS
    --> I get "failed: No such device"
- When I am in the shell after the failure I can manually run parted/mkde2fs/tune2fs successfully
      but the mount will always fail with "No such device"

  Ideas ????

I'm gonna guess that your ext3 filesystem module isn't being loaded automatically, just as your cciss driver wasn't being loaded automatically. In your 'linux.i386.config' file, is "CONFIG_EXT3_FS=m"? If so, try building that in statically (CONFIG_EXT3_FS=y), and then boot the new kernel (you shouldn't have to rebuild all the packages). See if that doesn't get you further.

        -Steve.