Thanks Steve.

Yes I should have also mentioned that I had also received a bunch(100s) of
"insmod : unresolved symbol n" messages before the mke2fs. If I check in the
 install script there is a :
 "modprobe  ext2
  modprobe  ext3"
To prove this I commented out these lines and attempted a boot from cd. Still bombs at the
 mount but no other messages. I then do a manual modprobe ext2/3 and yes lots of
 unresolved symbol messages and the mount still fails.

As you suggest I can modify linux.i386.config however how do I boot the new kernel without
making all the packages ? ie how can I just make the boot pkg ?

Thanks

David K Livingstone
CN Signals and Communications
10229 127 Avenue floor 2