From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of Kan Tok
Sent: Mon 09/01/2006 19:20
To: sisuite-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [Sisuite-users] Grub issues with IBM HS20 Bladecenter

Bernard and Charles,

    Thanks for the responses.  The machine does indeed have 2 nics.  I have the BIOS set to only enable PXE boot on planar ethernet 2.  And like I said it seems to grab the first set of dhcp offers just fine (I get past the point where you see the message.txt menu screen and the initrd and kernel load).  But, you're saying there might be a problem after that with some sort of NIC confusion?  Would ethereal be able to detect this sort of problem, would the confused nic send out its mac address to view in its response?  I'll take a look at the BIOS and see if it's possible to disable the first NIC, but I don't remember there being an option to explicitly shutdown one of the nics (only enabling or disabling PXE booting for each card, would enabling both of them do anything?).  Is there some other way to achieve this effect for purposes of having only one nic (in my case the second nic) enabled to ensure it's the only one alive?  Bernard,I haven't tried installing rhel4 on these machines with 1.06 BIOS yet, but I think the fellow with the other chassis had disk duped the rhel4 version over just fine.  I'd love to know what version of BIOS your blades are running, Bernard.  Things seem to work with systemimager with BIOS versions pre 1.06, I'm still slogging through IBM's site to find info on what happened, do you know if their BIOS source code is avaiable to view, or at least a detailed changelog somehwere?   A strange thing is that although we ordered all these blades at the same time, they have three different BIOS levels on them.  Thanks again for the suggestions.

Steve

Bernard Li <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
That's a good idea about the dual nics.

Al so, to confirm whether the module was indeed loaded, just go on the console and do a lsmod before it reboots.

I got older HS20's (Xeon 2.4GHz) imaged using an older version of SystemImager and it works just fine.

Can you successfully install RHEL4 on these servers with the new BIOS?

You can also try a newer version of SystemImager (3.6.3 should be out very very soon...)

Cheers,

Bernard