Seth Haines wrote:
> Greg,
>
> Easiest way I've found to deploy to VM's is to build a single one from
> scratch with the partition structure and packages you want, suck down an
> image to your imageserver, and then PXE boot how every many remaining
> VM's you'd like to deploy them too.
>
> The other option (outside of Systemimager) is to just copy the
> /vmfs/storage1/$VMNAME1 contents to a new $VMNAME2 directory and vi the
> underlying files changing any instance of $VMNAME1 to $VMNAME2.  This is
> far more manual, but provides an exact duplicate (so make sure you don't
> start them both simultaneously until you've changed hostname and IP!)
>
> Can I ask what partitioning issues you're having in particular once
> you've defined the VM?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Seth

Hi Seth,

We have sort of a strange configuration here.  We are segmented into
different vlans (virtual lans) that have different attributes depending
on their purpose.  One is for control systems, another is for
diagnostics etc.  The issues I'm having are two fold.  The first is an
intermittent problem with boel and dhcp (I'm working with our IT and
Networking groups to resolve this one) and the other is the partitioning
issue.
Partitioning wise I get through most of it but fail when the end
boundries are set.  Basically it says that the area of the disk that is
being partitioned is non-existant beyond whatever VMware allocates
initially.  I've tried both dynamically and statically allocating the
diskspace (the .vxhd file size); neither seems to work and both produce
the same errors.  I was wondering if choosing a different target OS when
setting up the VM made any difference or if there was some obscure
settings I need to change to make it more SI friendly.  The GoldenClient
is a "real" machine and has been successfully providing images to other
"real" machines for a few months now.   We are trying to make the leap
to VM'ed boxes without spending the time to build a VM specific image
(the GC is fairly complex at this point).

I appreciate any help or insight you can give me with this!

Greg