Greg,

That makes a bit more sense. When converting a stock setup into a VM
unless you want to manually recreate everything you're going to need to
use VMConverter because the VMWare device drivers/modules are going to
be different than the OS just talking directly to the hardware and not
through the hipervisor. (think initrd.img problems)

Is this for ESX Infrastructure 3+ by chance?

The only problem that we've run into using VMWare converter is that it
has to pass through a WINDOWS (blah!) system in order to do its thing.
The converter box basically sucks off the "golden-client" if you will
and dumps it into a waiting VM, resizing the partitions if necessary.
When I tried to take an image of a non-VMWare Linux config, and then PXE
boot it to a VMWare Virtual it blew up so many times that I just gave up
and went with the converter.

http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/

If you have a licensed login for ESX 3+ then you can grab it from your
account login downloads as well.

If you'd like to keep trying with the partition thing, as my golden was
an older 2.4 kernel baseline so maybe some of the newer 2.6's will adapt
easier, I'd just go into the
/var/lib/systemimager/scripts/$GOLDENIMAGENAME.master and modify the
partition structure manually to make sure it's within the bounds defined
in your Virutal machine.

Once you do perform a single conversion you can clone the living
daylights out of the virtuals with systemimager.  For what ever reason
it's faster to PXE boot a virtual and have it be sucked down from the
imageserver rather than do a direct copy of the VMFS/storage1 sub
directory.  The nice thing about using SI to do the cloning rather than
direct copy is that the VM's can reboot and not trample all over each
other IP wise taking down your original if you were to just copy things
around.

The first one is the most painful and then it's all downhill from
there...

Thanks,

Seth

Hi Seth,

We have sort of a strange configuration here.  We are segmented into
different vlans (virtual lans) that have different attributes depending
on their purpose.  One is for control systems, another is for
diagnostics etc.  The issues I'm having are two fold.  The first is an
intermittent problem with boel and dhcp (I'm working with our IT and
Networking groups to resolve this one) and the other is the partitioning

issue.
Partitioning wise I get through most of it but fail when the end
boundries are set.  Basically it says that the area of the disk that is
being partitioned is non-existant beyond whatever VMware allocates
initially.  I've tried both dynamically and statically allocating the
diskspace (the .vxhd file size); neither seems to work and both produce
the same errors.  I was wondering if choosing a different target OS when

setting up the VM made any difference or if there was some obscure
settings I need to change to make it more SI friendly.  The GoldenClient

is a "real" machine and has been successfully providing images to other
"real" machines for a few months now.   We are trying to make the leap
to VM'ed boxes without spending the time to build a VM specific image
(the GC is fairly complex at this point).

I appreciate any help or insight you can give me with this!

Greg