I believe part of the problem has to do with what the kernel believes the disk
geometry is.

With the 2.4 kernel, the disk geometry comes back as the following:

root# cat /proc/ide/hda/geometry
physical     77545/16/63
logical      4865/255/63

With the 2.6 kernel, the disk geometry comes back as the following:

root# cat /proc/ide/hda/geometry
physical     16383/16/63
logical      65535/16/63

After re-imaging the client with SI 4.0.2 ( which is a 2.6 ) kernel, I'm now
getting errors
from parted after the disk geometry.

I tried to make the hda2 partition smaller, but still getting the same problem
of / being
reported as only having about 130MB of space used.

Oh, I have found that when I hit 200MB of space used, even though I have plenty
of space
left free, I get out of space errors when I try to create any new files or
directories.

I tried to modify the boel_binaries tarball from SI 4.0.2 to include an older
version of parted,
and any necessary libraries, from a running SLES 8 system to see if I could use
the older
version of parted to get around the problem.  No dice.

Any thoughs/ideas??