Fear and loathing in the 21st century

http://www.dakotastudent.com/features/fear-and-loathing-in-the-21st-century-1.1787618

One of Hunter S. Thompson's more politically-oriented works still stands up.

November 19, 2010

The 2010 midterm election two-and-a-half-weeks ago is setting a precedent for the next "big show" in 2012. The tiresome jokes about the end of the world are perpetuated through small talk貞mall talk that is distorted and ill informed blabber regarding a colonized people that is being recited from those that know best by those who know nothing but "ignorance is bliss."

The world is ending no more today than it will two years from now. Entropy is now passed off as information as it has been and will likely always be.

What is not being done is analysis: analysis of one's "true" self, those around us that we live with day-to-day, and those voices and images we are fed through tubes (e.g. boob or series of). This analysis is being handled in the wrong order.

Authority is granted to the journalists, anchors and other talking heads spouting out virulent slander designed, manufactured and digested for simple pleasure. When we hear a phrase from a pundit repeated or acknowledged by someone else, the most common and wrong interpretation is that of accuracy and correctness.

The failure here is admission to one's self by means of: listening to the Media, which has every reason in the world to manipulate their audience; listening to those who we live with, to say society, are also being manipulated to further the Media message; and the ease of not having to think for yourself.

In Hunter S. Thompsons Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail '72, both the media and the politicians running for office are shown in a way that is as lacking in today's contemporary discussions as it was 37 years ago when the book was first published. Originally published as separate articles in Rolling Stone throughout the 1972 campaign, this collection of essays and other writings offers a glimpse into the nearly day-to-day decisions made by those running for office.

In a passage that states (rather succinctly) Thompson's views on politics, the free press and where (and how) the two converge, he writes, "...Fifty years ago H. L. Mencken laid down the dictum that 'The only way a reporter should look at a politician is down.' This notion is still a very strong factor in the relationship between politicians and the big-time press. On lower levels you find a tendency苔mong people like "national editors" on papers in Pittsburgh and Omaha負o treat successful politicians with a certain amount of awe and respect. But the prevailing attitude among journalists with enough status to work the Presidential Campaigns is that all politicians are congenital thieves and liars.

"This is usually true. Or at least as valid as the consensus opinion among politicians that The Press is a gang of swine. Both sides will agree that the other might occasionally produce an exception to prove the rule, but the overall bias is rigid... and, having been on both sides of that ugly fence in my time, I tend to agree...." (p. 100).

If you consider yourself a particularly political fellow or gal, F&L:OtCT '72 should be a book that you have not only read but one you keep nearby as a reference point for future elections. Neither mudslinging, slander nor deception will end; having Thompson nearby as a reference will be an invaluable tool in trying to keep a sane head while cutting through the clutter.

.