Book Review: "On the Road" by Jack Kerouac

http://my.hsj.org/Schools/Newspaper/tabid/100/view/frontpage/articleid/391081/newspaperid/3933/Book_Review_On_the_Road_by_Jack_Kerouac.aspx

November 18, 2010
By Mia Kirby

Out of postwar mid-century America sprung the Beat Generation, a youthful generation motivated largely by jazz, poetry and the open-minded experimentation of drugs. The Beat Generation was the pre-curser to the psychedelic movement of the 1960s, a Hunter S. Thompson-esque scourge of the so-called, and widely sought-after, American Dream. The Beat Generation shook the basis of conservative ideology, planting seeds in many writers, artists and musicians that fervently inspired millions. Jack Kerouac is one such artist. His autobiographical novel On the Road is nothing short of heroic. Liberating the minds of countless people from shackles of materialism and traditional moral and ethical beliefs, Kerouac heavily influenced artists such as Bob Dylan and, one of my favorite authors, Tom Robbins. "I read On the Road in maybe 1959. It changed my life like it changed everyone else's," said Dylan. On the Road is the true story (though names and details are changed) of Kerouac (or Sal Paradise, as he is called in the novel) and his friends hitchhiking across the country in search of true freedom. When they first embark with nothing but miles of open road in front of them, the objective is not so clear. However, through travel, art and a few chemically-induced epiphanies, the objective evolves into the destruction of time-honored American values. The two main characters are of course, Sal, and his best friend, Dean Moriarty, who is really Neal Cassady. As Paradise states in the exposition, "With the coming of Dean Moriarty began the part of my life you could call my life on the road." Dean and Sal's relationship becomes complicated, sometimes more disparaging than actually supportive; however, they have one thing in common, and that is a fascination with the idea of humanity and the basic definitions of independence and liberation. They bond over the road. Dean's madness intoxicates Sal, making even the most commonplace experiences completely extraordinary. On the Road is the kind of story that will motivate you to live each and every day to its fullest. As Sal Paradise states in the book, "Life is holy and every moment is precious." Kerouac lived by the philosophy that "everything belongs to me because I am poor." He set aside materialistic wants and replaced them with spiritual needs. "The only thing to do was go," said Paradise, as he traveled from small quiet urban towns to deserts and wildernesses in a hunt for personal freedom and a sense of belonging. What makes the story of Kerouac and his friends so incredibly moving is their dedication to get the most out of every moment ­ their absolute refusal to do anything except live the kind of life they want to live. They simply do not miss out on life. After all, we only do this once, right?

.