On Fri, 24 Nov 2017, Rich Shepard wrote:

 In /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/beamer/ is an old version (3.01) from 2004.
I just downloaded the latest release (3.44) from CTAN and the user guide's
installation section includes, "In TEX Live, use the tlmgr tool to install
the packages called beamer, pgf, and xcolor. If you have a fairly recent
version of TEX Live, and you have done full installation, beamer is
included."

  OK. Found that there are newer versions of all packages in
/usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/. I suppose that I need to remove the
/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/ subdirectories. Is this correct?

Rich