On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 06:39:44AM -0800, Dzonatas Sol wrote:
> Anyways, there still is some mixup in these related threads about script
> memory being split between avatar memory limits and parcel memory
> limits. When an avatar that has paid premium rates to be fashionable
> (hence, not a griefer at all) and the outfit require an expected XX
> amount of memory to runs its scripts... wanders onto a parcel that has
> had its memory limits choked... poo poo is gonna hit the fan. *tap*
> *tap* *tap*

The avatar would not be affected at all. If avatar and object memory
use from the same pool too (I'd like that, the more "temporary" memory
the better), then such avatar entering a sim where one person is using
all avatar memory would just have some of that persons scripts to be
stopped, until the first avatar leaves again.

That is better than the current situation where EVERY object and avatar
grinds to a halt because the server starts swapping. It is also better
as the proposed fixed limits, because in that case the first person
couldn't even do what he was doing BEFORE that other avatar entered.

> There are many people pay top dollar for their fashions in the real
> world, and obviously they won't go places that won't support their
> outfit. Do we need to actually make a case how this applies in-world?
>
> Parcel limits should not limit the avatar. (I know someone is gonna
> argue griefer cases, but bottom line... griefer objects are not avatar.)

The system with fixed limits that is about to be implemented by
Linden Lab will limit the number of scripts you can run in attachments
up to the same point of a fully loaded server. That way you are sure
that with the few scripts allowed, you can also enter a full server
*cross eyed looked*.

Nevertheless... I can understand this reasoning for avatars.
The sad side is however that by reserving memory for the full
set of avatars (35) EACH loaded with the MAXIMUM number of
attachment scripts, just "in case", simply means a huge waste
of resources on 99% of the sims 99.9% of the time. All of that
precious memory can not be used anymore for objects, ever.

So, ... clearly it would be better to DO allow objects to use
that memory and only stop them temporarily if their memory is
*actually* needed for 35 avatars full with scripted attachments
that just entered.

--
Carlo Wood <ca...@alinoe.com>
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/SLDev