Hi guys.

I have been using document management etc for a few years now and have happily been using jakarta slide as a DAV server.

I can see the slide project continuing as it is, but would like to propose some focus change.

It seems to me that groupware, and management of documents in groups is a fast growing requirement is small and large organisations. The slide projet has a worthy document repository, but has no client.

The two main desktops out there are windows and linux. Windows Web Folders does not work. The only client that can be used in windows to any degree of usability/stability is SRT Webdrive. However this lacks searching and ACL. DAV Explorer is cool but lacks searching and drive mounting / integration into the desktop.

On linux there is DAVFS which is a lil complex but works well to mount the files.

One other interesting area is subversion. It seems strange to me that the subversion team have written their own WebDAV module, when a perfectly decent webdav module exists within slide.

Would it not be good to foster a relationship with the guys developing davfs and subversion to increase compatibility.

Seems also there is a need to develop a webdav client integrated into the windows desktop much like netdrive/webdrive to give the same functionality as the srt groupware product ( http://www.southrivertech.com/index.php?pg=./products/groupdrive/index ).

The aim being to increase the takeup of slide so it meets a more wideranging number of users, ie out of the box it fits some real needs. That is. the need for a central storage for all documents within an organisation that can be shared to the desktop with off-the-shelf clients, and also shared to applications using the webdav API.

Is this the domein of another project, or can this be incorporated into the scope of the slide project.

What do you guys think?

I think the custom web application side is being catered for by the graffito project.