Paul Hussein wrote:

Thanks for the comments

As far as the client goes, I was thinking more of a client that gives direct access like webdrive does, but with editing of acl's and searching maybe like google desktop, all built-in to the windows desktop, so you could map a network drive to a repoitory, search it, click on a file and set the acl's.

I don't know how many of us I speak for, but one reason for working in the Java world is to decouple us from the platform. But that is slightly off topic.

Back in Java land, a "client" might make sense, either as an extension to Commons-VFS (curious, that project already has webdav:// support), or say, as an extension to the Eclipse framework, and/or as a NetBeans plugin.

For one of our applications, I've done work using the Slide client side libraries to write a substitute for using a version control system. Although I cannot contribute that code to a project (nor might anyone want to look at it!), it does point the way to interesting client side applications.

I agree that the DavExplorer client is very disappointing, but to me that speaks to doing a better Java application, not necessarily trying to tightly integrate into Windows as a native IFolder extension. I agree that TortoiseCVS/SVN are very cool, but as a Linux user I'd much rather have a high quality Java client and then worry about a platform specific solution.

So I think there is a lot that you could do with the Slide client code base that hasn't been done (publicly, at least).

-Eric.