[Sorry - want to send as a new subject for better discussion tracking]

Great, so it sounds like others may be interested in the advantages of
this. What I'm thinking is a proxy pattern coupled with whatever else
makes sense.. Here are some initial thoughts and outstanding questions:

1) I would like to have a JMX interface so I could deploy the kernel as
an mbean inside JBoss.
2) Another protocol that would be nice would be direct invocation model,
where if I know that I have a local kernel instance, I can talk direct
to it and skip serialization/marshalling overhead
3) My thought is that there will be the following levels (imagine
concentric circles, starting from the center):

Level 1: Internal Kernel APIs - what we have now via the SlideToken +
NamespaceAccessToken concepts for fine-grained access. Additional APIs
will need to be identified at this level that haven't been done (for
some reason, versioning comes to mind based on a past thread?!)

Level 2: CM APIs - what we've really been talking about in the past
week. Course grained APIs for performing locking and other tasks that
are commonly handled by the WebDAV xxxMethod request processors. This
would allow clients to perform webdav-like tasks against the kernel in a
transactional context while having a more java-friendly api. Candidates
could be the JSR(s) currently in development, or just using the webdav
API object model here and moving the transport need for HttpClient vs.
some other transport to level 3.

Level 3: Gateway - this would offer a transport layer that would
translate a transport into CM APIs at level 2. Examples include WebDAV
over HTTP, JMX, SOAP, etc. Essentially, it would provide a proxy around
the level 2 API and underneath the covers manage the transport calls as
a client and offer whatever adapters (servlets, etc.) for the server
side. One thing that falls here is the webdav client lib.

Level 4: Taglibs - this would offer taglibs for Struts, JSTL, etc. that
would utilize the gateway client - meaning, it could be direct
invocation, JMX calls, or even WebDAV utilizing client proxies from
level 3.

Thoughts? Just wanted to get something out before Larry takes off for
vacation.

James