I just use the xxxMethod.java classes to learn how to perform
webdav-compliant work against the slide API. Its also useful to
understand more about how to interact with the lower-level APIs but can
be confusing. The taglib is also good to understand how to perform read
methods against the API, but it obviously doesn't perform writes so I
fallback to the xxxMethod classes as needed for that.

HTH,
James