From: Simone Gianni [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, May 21, 2004 10:42 PM
To: Slide Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: how can i create new user in slide

Yes, this is a specific extentension of Slide. The specifications never
mention of a standard way to add a user. AFAIK what follows should be a
quite comprehensive explanation of the various cases :

-IF Slide Realm is used in the container (and this requires explicit
confiugration)
--A collection can be used to authenticate users, the default is /users/
THEN
--- When a user requires access, tomcat asks the Slide Realm, which checks
if there is a collection under /users/ with the same name as the user
requesting authentication.
--- IF the collection is there, the property password, with name space
http://jakarta.apache.org/slide/, is compared with the password supplied by
the client.
---- IF the password is ok, the user is granted access.
--- IF the collection is not there, the user does not exists, so it's not
granted access.

-IF Slide Realm is not configured or used, you can use another
authentication method. In this case it think that to make ACLs useful you
will need a collection under /users/ anyway, because ACL specifications
require a principal URL anyway.

Ciao,
Simone Gianni