On 30 Aug 2004 at 14:48, Ritu Kedia wrote:

> Hi Andreas,
>
> My application does use Slide's WebDAV Client Lib for communicating with
> Slide. So yes, both the direct access(via Word) and the access from my
> application are via WebDAV. I want to disable slide security checks in the
> direct access mode....I would most likely use James' cluster refresh
> solution along with custom security implementation...

So everybody is allowed to access as long as he or she goes via
a WebDAV client? Is this really what you want?

> With reference to what you pointed below regarding performance issues with
> DeltaV turned on: Have you already faced a problem with that? If yes, then
> what is the nature of the performance problem? Is it just due to security
> checks or does it exist even with security turned off (i.e. for puts,
> checkin-checkout, etc)?

I did not face the problem with the history folder, but I did
experience it with normal folders. Putting the tenth thousand
document into a single collection needs about 30 seconds. So
having a collection in /history for each document would cause
performance issues even if you don't have a single huge
collection under /files. Therefor the hack is an interesting
solution for this.

The reason for the performance problem are:
1. adding a child means deleting all existing children from the
store and adding the existing plus the new one.
instantiating all children of this collection on stock, even if
they are not needed.

I haven't got experience with Security, but I think as long as
you don't have very many ACLs the security checks should not
slow down the system too much.