Warwick,
With the jdbc stores, are any new tables created that might be saving similar
information as those .def.xml files? My concern is that, as Oliver pointed out, this
'store78.def.xml' file is created and saved *only* where the metadata is saved for
TxXMLFileDescriptor (no option to change that). Something similar must be happening
with JDBC stores.

With James recommendation of having the scope node be part of the root store instead
of the child store, the whereabouts of the JDBC version of this information would be
valuable in determining if we can simply have this scope node information be part of
the root's 'nodestore', or if there should be a new ScopeStore/ConfigStore that can be
custom-configured.

Having this information stored only in the root node (using whatever the root's
nodestore configuration) should satisfy read-only needs if this is the quicker
solution, and I do not forsee any drawbacks outside of minor confusion as we have had
on this thread.

-D