Hi!

Lixin Chu [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi Max,
> thanks for your help. I checked and it is indeed the case
> (actually this is
> what I am developing). I also prefer to letting Slide manage
> all of these.
> However, I would like to get more inputs on:
>  1) if users ever change their name, then the 'owner' info
> kept in Slide will be out of sync.

Yes, that is true.

>      So that means I need to keep user ID in Slide (for
> example),  so that I can show the correct submitter name
> - that also means I still need to open another DB table
> to get the user name. In this case, I would just keep all
> metadata in a DB table.

You don't necessarily have to keep it in an external place. Users are also
"just" nodes in slide's tree, so you can set properties on them as well. Like
"myns:realname". You would have to roundtrip to slide twice, but you would have
to ask your db as well, so it doesn't make any difference. Be aware though that
the lockdiscovery property will then show the ID of the user instead of their
real name. So your application has to make sure to translate that ID to
something more meaningful.

>     Of cause, if we do not allow users to chage their name,
> then this issue goes away.
>
>  2) which is better in terms of performance ?
>      getting folder structure and file info from Slide or from a DB ?

Slide supports storing all data in a database as well, using the JDBCStore.
However, we found that the best performance comes from using the filesystem
store along with the new lucene search. Unfortunately, we didn't get to use
this combination in production yet, we are still relying on the JDBCStore.
Performance is relative though. We are serving more than 160k documents from
the JDBCStore without having to worry about performance. It just comes down to
which you are more comfortable with and how much hardware you are willing to
use for your comfort. ;)

Bye!
max