What you may want to do is create a new namespace to store a couple key
properties with your file's metadata, and have the properties be primary
keys into a database that has all the non-document-related information
(if the person changed their name, history tracker, etc).

This does add another 'application' to the project, but this may help
keep it clean and separate the concerns between 'storing a document and
metadata' versus 'external needed information'.

Hope that helps!

-D