Alexander Klimetschek wrote:

> Could you elaborate? Does this mean the SlingMainServlet (or the
> SlingStatus service if we separate it) could be activated without the
> configuration available? I couldn't believe that as it sounds like it
> would lead to lots of problems when services don't get their
> configuration...

Now, this depends on how this is done. We're using the declarative
services in Sling, so when DS is starting the sling main servlet it
checks for a configuration to provide it to the service. If it is there,
fine.
However at this point of time, the ConfigAdmin service might not have
been startet yet, or if for example the configuration is "installed"
using jcrinstall, jcr install might kick in later, pass the config to
the config admin and then the servlet is restarted with the config.
Therefore there might be a time, where the servlet is active without
having the config you want it to have.
Of course, you can handle this case by taking care of it - which is with
DS a little bit difficult or...as soon as DS 1.1 is available (which
should be very shortly), you have the possibility to require a service
to have a configuration stored in ConfigAdmin. So the sling main servlet
would not start without it. However obviously this has another draw back
as someone has to take care that the config is there.

Therefore, the easiest thing for me seems to be the sling properties.
They're guaranteed to be delivered to the sling main servlet as soon as
the service can be started. And the props do not change over time.

Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziege...@apache.org