On Tue, 8 Aug 1995, James R. Covey wrote:

> shawn writes:
>
> >T-shirt prices were outrageous.  A shirt which you could get from murder
> >for $15 would sell for $27 there.  How can that be?
>
> well, the answer seems pretty simple to me.
> i would assume that somewhere along the way, someone,
> like the promoter or the facility or someone, demanded
> a piece of t-shirt sales as a condition of booking the gig.

Thank God they couldn't get a piece of the record sales.  Shows are often
the best place to buy records.

Sonic Unyon has a nice little message printed on all of their CDs "This
CD is available for $12 incl. postage by writing to..."  Thus, if you see
it in a store w/ a huge retail increase tacked on it, you know where you
can go.  A little Sonic Unyon magazine also explained other reasons why
they have that message.

> >Hardship Post was just one guitarist, one drummer, and a huge stage.  It
> >looked really funny, and they were quite boring.  It's hard to get
> >intimate w/ all that room up there.
>
> do you mean that hardship post specifically look funny that way,
> or you react that way to duos in general?  just curious.
> i guess having seen the spinanes and the inbreds i'm kinda getting
> used to rock duos myself.  it is different, both from the norm and
> for them, that's for sure.

I think it was my reaction to the duo in general on such a large stage.
Especially after NXNE in Toronto, I was finding myself quite bored w/ the
2 guitarists, a bassist and a drummer set-up, and I appreciate some
deviation from that standard.  But I personally prefer larger bands as
opposed to the smaller bands.  I feel it gives you more options... (but
splitting up those small paychecks must be a pain!)

Thanks,
Shawn

Shawn Stackhouse                            "It's not the band I hate,
3B Actuarial Science - U. of Waterloo        It's their fans."
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               - Coax Me
http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~sstackho     Sloan