On Sat, 26 Aug 1995, Gord Dimitrieff wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Aug 1995, Michael Damian Catano wrote:
>
> > you're the girl for me / i'm son of jaguar 'e'.
> >

> hey is this Swervedriver?!  I was listening to their new album (what's it
> called? Ejectorseat something-or-other) in HMV the other day, but it was
> import for something like $25 or $30.. crazy.. the British pay *way* too
> much for CD's... Has it been released domestically yet?
>
> gord

yep, gord, that little lyric was taken from "ejector seat reservation",
the snappy new record by british dreamrockers swervedriver.  i picked up
an import copy of the vinyl (with a free 2-song bonus 7") about a week or
so ago, and it's pretty damn cool.

first of all, it's VERY different from their first 2 records, but doesn't
seem that bizarre if you've heard any of the e.p.'s that they've put out
(like rave down, reel to real, etc.).  it's VERY retro, in a neat sort of
way ... it's got loads of harmonies and jangle.  kind of like late-period
beatles, with the tonnes of guitar overdubs, and strange string parts.
very cool IMHO.  it's definately not going to impress anyone who was
soley into the sort of swirly, dreamy aspects of the band, or solely into
the rock out aspects of the band, because neither of these qualities are
at the forefront of the record - it's definately "song orientated" ...
which is good.

there are two weird sort of continuations of other swervedriver songs on
the record: "son of jaguar 'e'" (from "son of mustang ford" off of raise)
and
"the other jesus" (from "jesus" off of reel to real).  kind of a neat bonus
for fans, i guess ... sort of like "what a day" and "what a day" maybe ..

uhmm ... some stand-outs include "last day on earth" and the title track,
but the songs over all are excellent.  they are, in general, shorter and
more upbeat than anything off of the previous two records.  it's a
definate winner as far as i'm concerned.

on a sloan-esque note, i think people who dig twice removed could really
enjoy this record.  check it out if you can.

unfortunately, swervedriver have been dropped by creation (they fucking
suck ... first my bloody valentine, then slowdive, now swervedriver ...
what the fuck kind of crack they on?) so distrobution as far as n.
america goes is iffy.  their is no word as to their status on a&m records
(their label outside of the uk), so no one knows what is going on as far
as a n. american release date.  it ad been slated for release on our side
of the ocean for mid-august, but there has been no sign of it.  if you
are a real fan, i would suggest getting a copy of the uk import, for the
sole fact that you may never be able to get a domestic copy, PLUS, trhe
uk cd comes with two "hidden" tracks: "flaming heart" and "plan 7 star
satellite 10 (the same two songs that are on the bonus 7" that comes with the
12").

mike

wheeew.  sorry for the lack of sloanality.  maybe i made up for it in
banality.