Jon "t-shirt" Dacey wrote

}i think its interesting that one of the biggest bands of the last year
}..weezer  stle the logo of one of the biggest bands of well last year
}too.. van halen...

I thought they stole it from Waylon Jennings who stole it from Van Halen.

Don't they get shit on for copyright reasons?  I mean, if you stuffed your
band's logo into the shape of a Coke bottle you'd never get on a major
label because Coke would sue the pants off you the moment the record hit
gold.

TH's John Boomer-Star Wars logo and the Smart Bomb Atari cartridge were
both funny and made sense because the logo tied in with the title and
were nods to the early-80's pop culture that seems to have been quite an
influence on them.  Nobody was expecting big sales so no worry of George
Lucas knocking on the door at Ravenrock Lane.  Compare that to Merge's
knockoff Irving Oil logo which must have been a nod to the coolness of
wearing gas jockey shirts, and was kinda risky considering it's a local
company.

But I'm still talking about locals here, can a major seller get away
with it nationally?  More examples?

Next thing James, Jim and Tara will design a Monkees-inspired logo for
their label! (I'm hoping there isn't one)

Andrew

ps. Hey Jon, why hasn't anyone asked you about the t-shirts since you got
back on?  :)
I know you got the shirts so we'll see them by Xmas, I'm not asking!