seek and ye shall find lame ob. sloan net references within...

On Mon, 18 Dec 1995, Jeremy Harris Clarke wrote:
> since i live in shitholeland i don't know where this is and my question
> is only about "the republic" and not about the cure ripoff band that sold
> 6 t-shirts. i'd just like to know where it is, who plays there, is it
> cool, etc.

the republik (note spelling, hip communist-era/80s reference for ya) is
located in calgary, alberta. it's ok, cool bands that have played there
include the posies, inbreds, pavement, seam, yo la tengo, sloan, pond,
six finger satellite (ok, they're sort of cool...), jale, eric's trip,
super friendz, and the hardship post (both incarnations).

james covey has a republik toque. does that make him cool? damn straight.

> i don't know if anyone else saw it but "from the hip" is almost
> vomit-inducing, it's so bad.  now "street cents", there's a good canadian
> show.  if only they would bring back the fat guy who moved up north or
> something.

i've only seen two episodes of "from the hip" and was so flabbergasted to
see all the cool hangouts from calgary on national television i can't
really objectively say whether it completely sucks or only partially sucks.

one of my best pals jason said "sloan" on the galapagos raygun episode
just for all you sloannetters. nice huh?

tlw