Hello,

I'm attempting to build Slony-I 1.2.15 on Opensuse 11 / i586. I
expected this to be totally straightforward, as I've already
successfully built the exact same version of Slony-I on an Opensuse
10.3/ i586 system.

I resolved dependencies on GNU Bison and Flex using my distro's
package manager in the usual way. I'm using a different version of
postgreSQL then the one that was previously found to work with Slony
on OpenSuse 10.3 - 8.3.* rather than 8.2.*, because that's what came
with each version's package manager . I have the postgreSQL devel and
libs packages.

I ran configure without any problems, but when I subsequently ran
make, ld gave an error while linking slonik: "cannot find -lpgport".

This linker flag is cryptic - I can't seem to find anything more than
a passing reference to it on Google. I have no idea how to resolve
whatever issue it is that prevents ld from successfully completing
linking. What little information was available suggests it has
something to do specifically with postgreSQL/libpq. I have
successfully built libpqxx on this system, which dynamically links to
libpq, which makes the fact that linking fails all the more
surprising.

Please advise me on how to fix this problem,

Regards,

Peter Geoghegan