On Sun, 5 Dec 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: > I'm trying to build a twin-Celeron machine using > a Mainboard BP6, which claims to be able to > accept one or two Celeron 300A~466. > I have been offered two Celeron 433 chips but the > barcode label glued onto their boxes says > FOR UNIPROCESSOR SYSTEMS ONLY. > > What's going on, please? In a word, Intel. Apparently, they don't like the fact that people are getting cheap multi processor machines out of the Celeron, and are foresaking the Pii/Xeon processors Intel _want_ you to run in multi-processor machines, so they've begun disabling the pins which allow multi-processor installation on the newer Celerons, in effect making them useless for SMP motherboards. I read about it on one of the chip comparison web pages - can't remember which one. It's a very Microsoft tactic. Can't half tell Intel and Microsoft sleep in the same bed. DaZZa -- SLUG - Sydney Linux Users Group Mailing List - http://www.slug.org.au To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with unsubscribe in the text
