Hi,
I am not sure about MySQL's or PostgreSQL's international support, but
Oracle/Sybase can do this quite well. They all follow the LANG
variable and if you have the Jap version of Sybase installed, it will
handle the particular character set in use.
The thing to worry about is that in Japan, there 3 widely used sets to
represent Kanji :- JIS, EJIS and EUC I think. Unicode is becoming
popular, and the way most people do it is to implement filters between
these sets for display.
If you are not too worried about display, then you should treat all
sets as length terminated data streams. Remember that a null can occur
in the middle of a very valid Jap data stream.
More info can be got from an excellent O'Reilly book.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/ujip/
-- Aravind
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
> Adam Kennedy
> Sent: Tuesday, 18 January 2000 18:43
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: [SLUG] A hairy database question
>
>
> Hi sluggers
>
> I'm looking for a way of doing a database for the
> international market, the
> focus being Japan, but to include other countries.
> For now I'm focusing on English and Japanese.
>
> What I would like to know is how I would go about using
> MySQL PostGres etc
> in such a way that it can hold English and Japanese data at
> the same time. I
> gather it would be some sort of unicode? Is it even possible?
>
> How does one deal with languages with characters outside the Latin
> characterset, or rather how do you get multiple character
> sets inside the
> same table....?
>
> Sorry it's a little off topic, but nobody can give me a
> straight answer and
> I'm getting desperate...
>
> Thanks
>
> Adam
>
> --
> SLUG - Sydney Linux Users Group Mailing List -
http://www.slug.org.au
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
unsubscribe in the text
--
SLUG - Sydney Linux Users Group Mailing List - http://www.slug.org.au
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
unsubscribe in the text